alcoholic?
William Anderson
2005-04-11 01:17:53 UTC
I can't figure out if I am an alcoholic. I drink because I am lonely and
stressed out.

I don't have any stories of black outs and I don't act drunk. No problem
holding a job.

Something seems wrong though as I drink whenever I need to drink and that is
worrisome. Like right now, I have a glass of whiskey here beside me and take
great pleasure in it.
ByTor
http://www.aa-uk.org.uk/publications/areyou.htm
John Droge
2005-04-11 03:20:24 UTC
Post by William Anderson
I can't figure out if I am an alcoholic. I drink because I am lonely and
stressed out.
I don't have any stories of black outs and I don't act drunk. No problem
holding a job.
Something seems wrong though as I drink whenever I need to drink and that is
worrisome. Like right now, I have a glass of whiskey here beside me and take
great pleasure in it.
Well Bill
Posting here wondering if your an alcoholic is of course not a good sign.
Only you know if you really are one or not. You might try the ole controlled
drinking thing. Go to a bar and have a drink or two and then leave--period.
No more drinks when you get home from the bar-that's cheating. Give it a try
and let us know. Me I hope your not an alcoholic like me, just a problem
drinker who can quit before the allergy kicks in.
Peace
John
w***@hotmail.com
2005-04-11 03:24:50 UTC
Post by William Anderson
I can't figure out if I am an alcoholic. I drink because I am lonely and
stressed out.
I don't have any stories of black outs and I don't act drunk. No problem
holding a job.
Something seems wrong though as I drink whenever I need to drink and that is
worrisome. Like right now, I have a glass of whiskey here beside me and take
great pleasure in it.
Have you ever thought about taking up another hobby?

You know I agonized over the same decision. "I don't know whether I'm
alcoholic or not," I said. "I'm not really that bad. I've never killed
anyone. I've never been to prison. Hell, I've never even been given six
months to live. Obviously I'm not bad at all. And I'm not bad as some."
And then it came to me: "Okay maybe you're not - but how bad do you need it
to get? What will have to happen for you to admit you've had enough?"

And so I just decided I'd had plenty.

If you'd feel better about waiting to make your decision until after you've
had some blackouts and drunk drivings (not fun by the way) then go ahead.
Granted it may never get that bad for you. In the end you're the one that
has the final say so...
NutSo
WACO
2005-04-11 05:22:07 UTC
http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm

Read this, you'll be able to answer your own query if you honestly look for
the similarities and not the differences.

I knew I was an alcoholic for almost 20 years before I quit but
unfortunately didn't 'know' what an alcoholic was nor what I truly was
doing to myself and those around me.
great pleasure in it.
Robert McGregor
2005-04-11 09:42:45 UTC
Post by William Anderson
I can't figure out if I am an alcoholic. I drink because I am
lonely and stressed out.
I don't have any stories of black outs and I don't act drunk. No
problem holding a job.
Something seems wrong though as I drink whenever I need to drink
and that is worrisome. Like right now, I have a glass of whiskey
here beside me and take great pleasure in it.
Is drinking while posting to a newsgroup a sane remedy for
loneliness?

Regardless of ultimate consequences, you have a *need* to do
something that gives you great pleasure? In this respect, have you
considered there may be significant difference between a want, and a
need?

Have you ever checked out MM?
http://www.moderation.org/whatisMM.shtml

William, I doubt you are a real alcoholic,
http://silkworth.net/bb/doctorsopinion.html but one thing I
experienced synonymous with my commencing the AA 12 steps, is that to
solve my perceived problem of loneliness, I first needed to drop
enough barriers to actually be a friend.

Bob
rosie read n' post
2005-04-11 15:01:28 UTC
:
: William, I doubt you are a real alcoholic,
: http://silkworth.net/bb/doctorsopinion.html but one thing I
: experienced synonymous with my commencing the AA 12 steps, is that
: solve my perceived problem of loneliness, I first needed to drop
: enough barriers to actually be a friend.
:
: Bob
:
:

william,
only YOU can know if you are a real alcoholic or
not............................i never lost a job, a marriage,never
had a DUI, and on and on, but eventually i sure did know that i was
an alcoholic and i continued to drink until i hit what i call my
spiritual bottom......................it is described in the BB as:
PITIFUL, AND INCOMPREHENSIBLE DEMORALIZATION.
keep reading, and looking for the similarities as a couple folks
have suggested before me!

rosie
Robert McGregor
2005-04-11 21:21:29 UTC
Post by rosie read n' post
william,
only YOU can know if you are a real alcoholic or
not............................i never lost a job, a marriage,never
had a DUI, and on and on, but eventually i sure did know that i was
an alcoholic and i continued to drink until i hit what i call my
PITIFUL, AND INCOMPREHENSIBLE DEMORALIZATION.
keep reading, and looking for the similarities as a couple folks
have suggested before me!
Twenty-Four Hours A Day
A.A. Thought For The Day
In that alcoholic world, one drink always leads to another and you
can't stop till you're paralyzed. And the next morning it begins
all
over again.
A popular negation of objective reasoning with many self diagnosed AA
recruiters is "look for the similarities" (and ignore significant
differences.)

Bob
Darren
2005-04-11 20:49:48 UTC
Post by William Anderson
I can't figure out if I am an alcoholic. I drink because I am lonely
and stressed out.
I don't have any stories of black outs and I don't act drunk. No
problem holding a job.
Something seems wrong though as I drink whenever I need to drink and
that is worrisome. Like right now, I have a glass of whiskey here
beside me and take great pleasure in it.
Could you have a bottle of your favourite alcoholic beverage in your home
for an entire week without touching a drop?
--
-
Buddhists seek enlightenment. Sobriety and serenity will do for me.
Scott W
2005-04-11 21:00:10 UTC
Post by Darren
Post by William Anderson
I can't figure out if I am an alcoholic. I drink because I am lonely
and stressed out.
I don't have any stories of black outs and I don't act drunk. No
problem holding a job.
Something seems wrong though as I drink whenever I need to drink and
that is worrisome. Like right now, I have a glass of whiskey here
beside me and take great pleasure in it.
Could you have a bottle of your favourite alcoholic beverage in your home
for an entire week without touching a drop?
Not me!
--
Sig under construction.

http://scottwitherspoon.blogspot.com/
http://www.geocities.com/woogawooga99
Darren
2005-04-11 21:45:53 UTC
Post by Scott W
Post by Darren
Post by William Anderson
I can't figure out if I am an alcoholic. I drink because I am lonely
and stressed out.
I don't have any stories of black outs and I don't act drunk. No
problem holding a job.
Something seems wrong though as I drink whenever I need to drink and
that is worrisome. Like right now, I have a glass of whiskey here
beside me and take great pleasure in it.
Could you have a bottle of your favourite alcoholic beverage in your
home for an entire week without touching a drop?
Not me!
me neither. It was my birthday yesterday and not one bastard wished me a
happy birthday. I could kill for a bottle of whisky and a fag. I don't drink
and I haven't had a cigarette in 8 years.

Damn it

Struggling bad.
Scott W
2005-04-11 22:07:59 UTC
Post by Darren
Post by Scott W
Post by Darren
Post by William Anderson
I can't figure out if I am an alcoholic. I drink because I am lonely
and stressed out.
I don't have any stories of black outs and I don't act drunk. No
problem holding a job.
Something seems wrong though as I drink whenever I need to drink and
that is worrisome. Like right now, I have a glass of whiskey here
beside me and take great pleasure in it.
Could you have a bottle of your favourite alcoholic beverage in your
home for an entire week without touching a drop?
Not me!
me neither. It was my birthday yesterday and not one bastard wished me a
happy birthday. I could kill for a bottle of whisky and a fag. I don't drink
and I haven't had a cigarette in 8 years.
Damn it
Struggling bad.
You're not missing anything, buddy! I hit the vokka
this morning and I feel like complete shit. just
remember what it feels like to want to puke constantly.
No fun. And when I do this, I can't let myself drive
so it becomes a Major inconvenience. That's all that I
need is another DUI or to cause another injury accident.

Darren
2005-04-12 10:32:21 UTC
Post by Scott W
Post by Darren
Post by Scott W
Post by Darren
Post by William Anderson
[...]
"no fun" a great song by the sex pistols, originally by iggy pop but p
referred the pistols version. :) My first birthday stone cold sober. I guess
I am too sensitive about such things but we alcoholics are. I suppose
there's a lesson there as to what happens when we get too complacent. Vodka
huh? Now that I miss. bugger.
w***@hotmail.com
2005-04-12 11:59:54 UTC
Post by Darren
My first birthday stone cold sober.
Congrats! Now can you prove it? :)
(In the words of Sean Connery in The Untouchables: "Why would he claim he
was - who was not?")
Post by Darren
"no fun" a great song by the sex pistols, originally by iggy pop but
preferred the pistols version. :)
Gee thanks Darren. Now I'm going to have THAT running through my head all
day. ("No fun to hang around...) Gotta go with the hometown boy on this one:
Iggy rules! And The Stooges. Okay, okay. The Pistols rocked as well. But
my God weren't they Brits? ;)

Caught "Velvet Goldmine" a couple of nights ago on cable. I could have done
without all the guy on guy snogging. But otherwise I thought Ewan McGregger
nailed Iggy to the T. Right on par with Gary Oldman's portrayal of Sid
Vicious.

Hold on, I just realized that this isn't alt.cult-movies. Sorry, I gotta
go.
NutSo
Darren
2005-04-12 12:38:34 UTC
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Post by Darren
My first birthday stone cold sober.
Congrats! Now can you prove it? :)
(In the words of Sean Connery in The Untouchables: "Why would he
claim he was - who was not?")
Yeah. You're welcome to taste my piss. :)
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Post by Darren
"no fun" a great song by the sex pistols, originally by iggy pop but
preferred the pistols version. :)
Gee thanks Darren. Now I'm going to have THAT running through my
head all day. ("No fun to hang around...)
Sums up my birthday perfectly..
"no fun my babe, no fun. No fun to be alone, alone and by myself. No fun to
be alone, in love with nobody else"
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Gotta go with the hometown
boy on this one: Iggy rules! And The Stooges. Okay, okay. The
Pistols rocked as well. But my God weren't they Brits? ;)
yeah, so am I :P sid viciouses "my way" rules :)
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Caught "Velvet Goldmine" a couple of nights ago on cable. I could
have done without all the guy on guy snogging. But otherwise I
thought Ewan McGregger nailed Iggy to the T. Right on par with Gary
Oldman's portrayal of Sid Vicious.
You should see the real one in "the great rock'roll swindle" mind you he
wasn't as cool a johhny rotten who like ozzy osbourne were members of my
higher power. :D
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Hold on, I just realized that this isn't alt.cult-movies. Sorry, I
gotta go.
Enjoy
--
-
Buddhists seek enlightenment. Sobriety and serenity will do for me.
w***@hotmail.com
2005-04-12 13:34:36 UTC
Post by Darren
Yeah. You're welcome to taste my piss. :)
You know - come to think of it I'm just going to have to take you at your
word.
Post by Darren
sid viciouses "my way" rules :)
Agreed!
Post by Darren
You should see the real one in "the great rock'roll swindle"
Yeah - no one could do Sid like Sid.
Post by Darren
he wasn't as cool a johhny rotten
Iggy's gone now and in his place: "Roadrunner, roadrunner. Going faster
miles an hour.. awith the radio on..." (or something like that)
Post by Darren
johhny rotten who like ozzy osbourne were members of my
higher power. :D
You know I have never considered the notion of higher power as an ensemble
thing! Wow!! Perhaps that's the kick mine's been missing all along:
frigging "sonic boom" power chords!
NutSo
Darren
2005-04-12 21:51:33 UTC
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Post by Darren
Yeah. You're welcome to taste my piss. :)
You know - come to think of it I'm just going to have to take you at your
word.
Post by Darren
sid viciouses "my way" rules :)
Agreed!
Post by Darren
he wasn't as cool a johhny rotten
Iggy's gone now and in his place: "Roadrunner, roadrunner. Going faster
miles an hour.. awith the radio on..." (or something like that)
I liked iggy's "wild one"
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Post by Darren
johhny rotten who like ozzy osbourne were members of my
higher power. :D
You know I have never considered the notion of higher power as an ensemble
frigging "sonic boom" power chords!
Heaven definitely roots on A minor :)

Friggin in a riggin. friggin in a riggin..
Post by w***@hotmail.com
--
NutSo
Buddhists seek enlightenment. Sobriety and serenity will do for me.
Scott W
2005-04-12 15:13:33 UTC
Post by Darren
Post by Scott W
Post by Darren
Post by Scott W
Post by Darren
Post by William Anderson
[...]
Most really bad alcoholics drink vodka because it's
dirt cheap.

I don't think that I've ever had a sober Christmas --
birthday, yeah. I'm thinking about picking up some
Antabuse.

Never heard No Fun but the only Pistols album I
had was Nevermind The Bullocks.

rosie read n' post
2005-04-11 23:14:17 UTC
....................... It was my birthday yesterday and not one
bastard wished me a
: happy birthday. I could kill for a bottle of whisky and a fag. I
don't drink
: and I haven't had a cigarette in 8 years.
:
: Damn it
:
: Struggling bad.
:
:

so????????????????????? why didn't you tell US that it was your
birthday?
we would have wished you the best..................we ARE a new part
of your family, right?
rosie

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Scott W
2005-04-11 23:18:33 UTC
Post by rosie read n' post
....................... It was my birthday yesterday and not one
bastard wished me a
: happy birthday. I could kill for a bottle of whisky and a fag. I
don't drink
: and I haven't had a cigarette in 8 years.
: Damn it
: Struggling bad.
so????????????????????? why didn't you tell US that it was your
birthday?
we would have wished you the best..................we ARE a new part
of your family, right?
rosie
HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Oh, yeah. Happy Birthday, yer ole codger! How old
are you now?

Darren
2005-04-12 10:35:07 UTC
Post by Darren
happy birthday. I could kill for a bottle of whisky and a fag. I
don't drink and I haven't had a cigarette in 8 years.
Damn it
Struggling bad.
so????????????????????? why didn't you tell US that it was your
birthday?
we would have wished you the best..................we ARE a new part
of your family, right?
rosie
HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Oh, yeah. Happy Birthday, yer ole codger! How old
are you now?
38 and getting younger everyday.
--
-
Buddhists seek enlightenment. Sobriety and serenity will do for me.
rosie read n' post
2005-04-12 13:23:29 UTC
: 38 and getting younger everyday.
: --

just a baby!
:)
Darren
2005-04-12 22:43:46 UTC
Post by rosie read n' post
: 38 and getting younger everyday.
: --
just a baby!
:)
That's what I keep telling people but they won't believe me. :)
--
-
Buddhists seek enlightenment. Sobriety and serenity will do for me.
Scott W
2005-04-12 15:14:26 UTC
Post by Darren
Post by Darren
happy birthday. I could kill for a bottle of whisky and a fag. I
don't drink and I haven't had a cigarette in 8 years.
Damn it
Struggling bad.
so????????????????????? why didn't you tell US that it was your
birthday?
we would have wished you the best..................we ARE a new part
of your family, right?
rosie
HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Oh, yeah. Happy Birthday, yer ole codger! How old
are you now?
38 and getting younger everyday.
37 here and getting old at hyperspeed.

Queen B of My Hive
2005-04-12 16:52:07 UTC
Happy Belated birthday to Darren. Happy
Belated Birthday to Patty (April 5) and it
was my first sober birthday too. I turned
half-century and a week today. Getting
Better every day.
Patty
Darren
2005-04-12 22:43:06 UTC
Post by Queen B of My Hive
Happy Belated birthday to Darren. Happy
Belated Birthday to Patty (April 5) and it
was my first sober birthday too. I turned
half-century and a week today. Getting
Better every day.
Patty
Cheers patty. Many merryments and getting younger everyday. :)
--
-
Buddhists seek enlightenment. Sobriety and serenity will do for me.
Darren
2005-04-12 10:34:07 UTC
Post by Darren
happy birthday. I could kill for a bottle of whisky and a fag. I
don't drink and I haven't had a cigarette in 8 years.
Damn it
Struggling bad.
so????????????????????? why didn't you tell US that it was your
birthday?
I don't like to bring attentioon to myself but many people knew and not one
of them rang or sent me an e-card.
Post by rosie read n' post
we would have wished you the best..................we ARE a new part
of your family, right?
You certainly are. :)
Post by rosie read n' post
rosie
HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Thank you. Feeling better now.
--
-
Buddhists seek enlightenment. Sobriety and serenity will do for me.
Gail
2005-04-11 23:42:48 UTC
Post by Darren
happy birthday. I could kill for a bottle of whisky and a fag. I don't drink
and I haven't had a cigarette in 8 years.
Damn it
Struggling bad.
Happy belated birthday, Darren! I hope you have many many more.
Gail
Darren
2005-04-12 10:35:57 UTC
Post by Darren
happy birthday. I could kill for a bottle of whisky and a fag. I don't drink
and I haven't had a cigarette in 8 years.
Damn it
Struggling bad.
Happy belated birthday, Darren! I hope you have many many more.
Gail
Thanks Gail. I'm glad I didn't have that drink. )
--
-
Buddhists seek enlightenment. Sobriety and serenity will do for me.
William Anderson
2005-04-11 22:00:50 UTC
Post by Darren
have a bottle of your favourite alcoholic beverage in your home
for an entire week without touching a drop?
Well, my thing is that if it is in the house I drink it. So if I decide to
go a night without drinking the key is to not have any in the house. I can
get get through a night without running to the store.

However, I would have great difficulty resisting tonight, as my lovely
bottle of whisky is waiting for me to come home from work. On the other
hand, I am not going to slurp down the whole bottle. A few drinks is all.